Friday, April 18, 2014

Fierce Commitment?

Sometimes I am completely flabbergasted by the commitment of God to Father me and bring joy to me as a son. My complete shock reveals a rather sad doubt in my heart as to how good of a Daddy my God really is. Slowly but surely, He is knocking down the walls of doubt in my heart and bringing me more deeply into Sonship. 

I have the privilege of being a personal trainer to many male clients who are older than me. To say this job is exactly what my heart needed would be an understatement. To stand in the presence of a man older than me, a man who has lived more life is powerful, restoring. There is something jumping for joy in my heart when an older man offers wisdom, advice, or even a piece of dry humor to me. Day after day, workout after workout I have experienced the Father's heart for me in ever increasing measure through the words, thoughts, and hearts of the men I train.  

I could post a blog a day for a whole month straight with the countless examples of how God is bringing me more deeply into manhood through the group of men I train on a daily basis.

I just recently finished training a 77 year old, firecracker of a retired math professor. He is kind, warm and caring. He is winsome and quite funny. And today, God Fathered me through him. 

Somehow our conversation took a turn toward the subject of fishing. He told me of his love of fishing, and how recently he has not had the motivation to fish any longer due to the loss of his long time fishing buddy and best friend. I sensed God extending me an invitation to join Him out on the water with a more seasoned fisherman than I. My client and I have agreed on getting together to fish starting in May. 

The beauty of this story is enough to make me weep. I have always wanted to fish, to learn the tricks of the trade, to hook the big one. Since the beginning of college God has slowly and surely equipped me to do so. My own grandfather is an avid fisherman, and has graciously given me all of the essential equipment to fish: Tackle box, lure, rod and reel, line etc. But due to physical distance, time, and his declining health, I haven't ever been fishing with my grandpa to learn the way. Other older men and friends in my life have taught me other skills necessary to fish, but I am still missing the essential ingredient to becoming a fisherman: experience. 

And here I am, almost 5 years later about to finally get the priceless experience of entering into life much more wild than my climate controlled building of employment. I have made plenty of excuses as to why I don't have 'time' to fish, dismissing my hearts deeper desire. 

As my client and I spoke about setting up a time to begin our endeavor, I could feel the pull to dismiss my desire once again. 'This is going to be another thing on my schedule...another thing taking from my time'

And in classic timing, my client turned to me with a mischievously enthused grin and uttered:

"I have an expression for fishing...A day spent fishing does not count against your allotted days on earth.."

So the Father delivered the final blow to my idol of busyness and capital gain with one of the more holy expressions I have ever heard from an older man. 

John Eldredge wrote that "God is fiercely committed to you, to the restoration and release of your masculine heart...and He is committed to bringing us back to the original design."  

The original design for me, as made in the wild and powerful image of God, being to rule over his created world in power and profound strength (Genesis 1:28). To borrow wisdom from Morgan Snyder, the original meaning of the word rule in this passage from Genesis, is actually translated as a fierce mastery. Fierce mastery. That is the original design God our Father is so fiercely committed in restoring us to. 

So I reckon I'll make time to go rule over the fish of the Adair County waters alongside my caring, humble, and wise guide who has promised to 'teach me everything he knows.' I sense the Father rather generously planning to restore both my client and I through time spent on the water together.

These upcoming fishing adventures, my client and I will not be 77 and 23 years old respectively. We won't be a retired math professor and an inexperienced business manager. Instead, we will both be--for a few glorious hours on weekends--sons. Son's being cared for by our Father. He is a much needed wise and seasoned guide for me in my masculine journey. And I am a gift to him from the Father--a fishing buddy to once more bring him out on the water, and bring him a bit closer to his original design. 

And so, Mr. Eldredge I respectfully disagree with your thought on God being 'fiercely committed' to our restoration of original design.

I think 'fiercely committed' is a gargantuan understatement. 

For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father.  -Romans 8:15




No comments:

Post a Comment