Monday, July 15, 2013

Gone, Gone, Gone

I love music. Good music without fail can lift my mood in an instant. There is one song in particular of late that I have really been jamming to. ‘Gone, Gone, Gone’ by Philip Phillips. Now at first I loved this song simply because I am getting married in 100 some odd days, and the lyrics reflect the kind of relentless strength and love that I wish to give to Samantha all the days of my life. But then, in His ever humorous and quirky personality, Jesus whispered very plainly, ‘I wrote that one’.  Right. Good one Jesus.  It only takes me .36 seconds to successfully Google and find out the songwriters of ‘Gone, Gone, Gone.’ Jesus Christ didn’t show up on my results page.
Now to be perfectly honest, a majority of the time, if the beat or instrumentals to a song are good I will crank it. I like good lyrics but don’t religiously listen for each and every line like some people do. It wasn’t until I checked out the first few lines of ‘Gone, Gone, Gone’ that I actually figured out what Jesus was trying to tell me.

                When life leaves you high and dry
                I’ll be at your door tonight
                If you need help, if you need help.
                I’ll shut down the city lights, I’ll lie, cheat, I’ll beg and bribe to
                Make you well, to make you well. 
                Your hope dangling by a string, I'll share in your suffering,
                To make you well, to make you well. 

DUH.  It’s no wonder why so many of you reading this absolutely love this song. In just a few short verses you have the personal promise of Christ’s fierce devotion to rescuing you. He will do anything to make you well.  The lyrics stir up something deep and real in your soul. Something you absolutely crave. Something your heart longs to know is true. That there is Someone willing to love you no matter what, share in your suffering, and love you forever.  That there is such a scandalous love not only to believe in, but also to partake in.
… I’m not moving on, I’ll love you long after you’re gone
For you, For you
You would never sleep alone, I love you long after you’re gone.
....Like a drum, my heart never stops beating for you, for you. 

This is the kind of love in Christ. Christ’s love is downright scandalous.  You will never be alone, you will always be loved. No matter what.
Jesus finished our exchange that day with a thought provoking question that has transformed the way I love Him. I hope it would do the same for you.   ‘What if I am the writer of every love song ever written?’

What if His heart really never stops beating for you

What if....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8D4v0xsux8  <<< Check it out for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment